Monday, June 5, 2017

Follow Me, Boys

This is a movie whose song I can still sing.  I used to know all the words, not I think I just remember the ones that are important to me in whatever instance I am in and need a pick-me-up.

Fred MacMurray...who doesn't love him? Unless it's the movie Double Indemnity...then I didn't like the role but loved the actor.

Lemuel Siddons (Fred MacMurry) is a sax player in a band after the war who decides a quaint town would the best place for him to jump ship and study law.  But studying law never gets enough time as he ends ups studying Vida (Vera Miles) and attempts to woo her.

This first plan, after not catching her attention, is to agree to lead the town's band of young boys.  I think this picture is the first march of hundred he went on.
Attempting to convince one very young Kurt Russell  (Whitey) to join in and leave the attitude at home was a huge effort.  The poor kid had a lot to contend with...loving his drunk father, dealing with his drunk father, and so wanting to belong.  And belong he has to.  But we get to watch the struggle and the growth of this boy.  How he wants and needs the acceptance but not always how to get it, give it. Then when he does and feels he made an error he decides to run away...which really brings his relationship with Fred to a fine point.  

  Of course we all know Fred wins Vida's heart and thus ensues a heartbreak on another level but together they make things work out.

And then there's John Everett Hughes (Charles Ruggles) who owned the little store Lem starts to work in.  He became the father/grandfather figure and you just adore him


The touching part was watching Lem age and yet still be current with the day and the boys until he can no longer do so.  What does such a man do?  Who remembers him?  That's the ending that still brings tears to my eyes every time I watch this movie.  And it makes me wonder what lasting effect I leave to the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me, Boys

This is a movie whose song I can still sing.  I used to know all the words, not I think I just remember the ones that are important to me in...