Saturday, June 3, 2017

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington


I don't know a time when I haven't loved this movie...and this started years before my grandmother told me that a young Jimmy Stewart looked my father, Henry Czekala, who died when I was 4 months old but this just made it even more dear.

I read somewhere that this was a comedy.  I suppose there were light hearted moments but the intense  situation of corruption in politics in the US and the innocent being accused wrongly doesn't make it a comedy for me.

A senator dies unexpectedly and the other senator from this state needed this man to help him pass a bill. So the appointment goes to Mr.  Smith who is a flag-waving, country-loving patriot as well as a leader of the boys in his small town.  He seems fine to go along with things and visit the historic sites in DC until his secretary, (Jean Arthur)
a wise woman in-the-know, directs his attention to the things that are really going on behind the scenes in DC.

Can Mr. Smith stand up to the lies told against him and protect his 'boys'?  Can you rely on his new friend, the lovely Jean Arthur?  Can he successfully hold the floor in a filibuster?  This is one of those movies that makes you wonder what really goes on behind closed door in DC today and creates this pride in righteous men/women.

2 comments:

Follow Me, Boys

This is a movie whose song I can still sing.  I used to know all the words, not I think I just remember the ones that are important to me in...